Progress! Follow along at home!

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Penny Pinching (Poorly)

Yeah, so I went to Subway for lunch yesterday, and I was feeling pretty crummy, as previously reported. After my 6” turkey sammich, however I was feeling like a million bucks*! I wondered why that was, but I guess it was just what my body was wanting at the time. Mind you, at one point it was lobbying pretty hard for something awful before that, so I won out.

In the shower this morning I thought I should make it obvious that I did not buy the $5 Footlong, so that I didn’t seem like a glutton, eating a 12” sandwich in one sitting. In retrospect I totally should have bought the infernal thing because it’s like fifty cents for a full additional sammich! I could have saved it for dinner. The frugal cheap bastard part of me should have realized that! I need to keep that in mind for next time. I mean, I’m not in Subway all that often but when I am, it’d pay to get the deal and have food for later. In these tough economic times, you gotta save where you can.

I went to Blockbuster right after (mainly because it’s next door, and I’d be far more tempted to spend bigger bucks at the comic book store across the street) because I know they are having a clearance sale. I went looking for 1 thing. That being Harry Potter ad the Order of the Phoenix but it was $10 used or 4/$20. Mind you, I could easily drop twenty clams there and get four films, but I’m trying to save and not buy anything that I don’t actually need. I’ve been driving around with a cassette adapter with a wonky wire for like 6 months now. I purchased a cheap one at Five Below and it was like lighting up a Lincoln. A total waste of cash in other words, the music sounded like it was underwater!

I listen to a lot of music (mainly instrumental stuff or old time radio stuff if I have the Boy in the car. He loves Herb Alpert, and the soundtrack for Miyazaki’s Kiki’s Delivery Service!) in the car so this has been a real PITA. Now that the weather is colder, the wire is stiffer and it drops out more. This isn’t as annoying listening to say, The New Adventures of Nero Wolfe or my umpteenth run through one of the Harry Potter books, but when you’re cranking something really great and it cuts out because you made a left turn, maybe it’s time to open up the wallet. I found a new one (same model I have) for under ten bucks shipped on Ebay, so I’ll just get a new one.

I told you I’m a cheap bastard.

Oh, and in the “Ever since I became a father I can be made to cry at the drop of a hat” department: There’s this commercial for St. Jude’s hospital on TV where they show all these kids with cancer. Now normally I see this and feel pretty bad but I remain composed. Then they cut to this little bald girl running down a hallway being followed by someone with what looked like a blood transfusion bag attached to her and I lost it completely. That little girl looked so happy and unaware of her sickness, and I thought of my own kid, and I lost it.

Damn sappy commercials.

OK, In continued Biggest Loser news; how in the world is that complete asshat Vicky still on? She’s such a conniving beast, I can hardly stand it. Another thing, at this late stage of the game, why the hell are people still playing teams? It doesn’t make any sense. I hope Michele takes it, because, she’s young and plucky, and the remaining three contestants are bullies and assholes, honestly. Heba’s a pushy whiner, Ed’s just a bully and Vicky…Words cannot express how much I cannot stand her.

Ugh.

Well, two weeks until the finale!

*after taxes, but still...

No comments: