Progress! Follow along at home!

Monday, July 21, 2008

Why is the music at the gym so Goddamned annoying? (Sort-of a post about MP3 players, kinda)

Seriously.

I get to the gym sometime between the unholy times of 6 and 6:30 AM and let me tell you, that’s too damn early for this awful shite these people refer to as "music." I realize it is supposed to energize you or whatever, but 90% of the people there are listening to Ipods (or whatever equivalent they may have) anyway and most of the time, the dreck being sloshed out of the speakers is just too loud, not to mention it being tripe.

The Headphones Crowd:
This includes me, naturally. I have gone to the gym without headphones, and it’s a test of will not to march behind the reception desk and break the stereo. Many people have tiny little Ipods strapped to their arm or belt. Me? No, I have a Dell 20GB DJ. It’s not so huge that I can’t use it, but compared to the positively minute options available in today’s MP3 player market, it’s a veritable leviathan. I mean, really, it ought to have at least five commandments chiseled into it. There's not arm band option and it frequently begins to drag my shorts ever downwards. Fortunately, (for everyone concerned) I am hyper-vigilant about making sure that doesn't happen, let the glare from my lilly-white buttocks blind the gals on the stationary bikes behind me!

I’m thinking of getting one of those Sandisk ones m'self, because :

1) they are small
2) I hear great things about them
3) They are sold state
4) They are not Apple.
5) They are much less money.

We got one for our son and it’s 1 1GB Clip model. It’s a terrific sounding player, with a good battery life and it’s the size of an airmail stamp. Seriously, it’s minute. Dare I say “wee?” I think I should get one for the Missus to replace her Memorex one, which sounds awesome, but only lasts like 3 hours and occasionally you just can’t load anything on it…. Certainly unacceptable.

I may be the only person there using their MP3 player to listen to audio books or Old Time Radio shows. Yes, seriously. I find time on the ol’ treadmill or elliptical (which I am still a spaz on) goes must faster listening to Nero Wolfe, Sherlock Holmes or Harry Potter. I'm not really concerned looking like an ass when I laugh out loud to something either. The Doctor Who audios are great as well. If I could find a 4 or 8 gb player on the cheap, I’d load it up with just this stuff, and save it for the gym.

Currently rocking:

The Adventures of Phillip Marlowe
Smoking Popes- Stay Down
Buzzcocks- S/T & Flat Pack Philosophy

No comments: