Progress! Follow along at home!

Monday, July 6, 2009

Two barbeques, two days, too much food!*

*Also acceptible was "Two Fisted Eating!"

I attended two barbeques this weekend and definitely went over my points, but that was expected having attended two freaking barbecues. I tried to moving around as much as I could both days so maybe I won’t have a weight gain.

I did, however, have a good long walk last night and I saw some fireworks by accident, so that was cool. As I walked down Union street I saw more people than usual milling about and thought it was a little odd until I saw some fireworks over the trees. As I got closer to the lake the crowds really thickened and I saw fire trucks and funnel cake stand, and a food guy, and a table selling cheap, but pretty cool pseudo-lightsabers, including a rather snazzy double bladed Darth Maul looking one. They were a little too “disco fabulous” to be a good lightsaber substitute, but the kids seemed to be eating them up pretty voraciously.

It was kind of a cool moment, my solitary walk becoming an accidental group event as fireworks exploded overhead. I watched the people more than the actual fireworks and saw the smiles on the faces of young and old people alike.

Going this route backwards (i.e. the opposite to the way I usually go) this time seemed like it was a harder workout, but it also seemed like it took less time. I don’t know how, exactly. I mean, it’s three miles and change, either way, right? I think the hills are a bit more challenging going the way I went last time, steeper going up. Then you get a steep downgrade as well. Until you get to the lake, then back up, and then it’s mainly flat until you come back around by the train station where it’s a good downgrade again. I think this is actually tougher to do this way than the other way around, but I’m going to maybe try it that way tonight and we’ll see.

Oh, I forgot to mention this! Driving through New Hope, PA I was behind the freakin’ Batmobile. It was more of a “Bat-Miata,” but with the big fins and the rocket exhaust and the whole ball of wax and there behind the wheel was a dude in full Adam West-era Batman regalia, waving at people and whatnot. It was pretty great to see people’s faces like “Am I dehydrated or did we just have Batman drive by us?”

I should have had my wife try and take pictures, dang it. it was pretty funny. My cousin asked “where do you think he’s going?” to which I naturally responded “I dunno. Batcave, I suppose.”

No comments: